23rd Jul 2020
We’re Looking For a Technical Designer
We’re looking for a Technical Designer to join our ambitious and growing team at Blueprint Interiors.
You’ll be an integral part of our busy design team. You’ll develop detailed drawing packages for the delivery team, manage a busy work load and have a passion to develop the role and standards of the company.
People are at the heart of what we do, so as the sole person in this role you’ll be motivated to improve the client experience wherever you can.
We’re a young, dynamic and profitable company engaged in the design, planning, fit-out and furnishing of all types of commercial property.
Our success is built around our design-led approach with a specific focus on making space work for the people that use them. We pride ourselves on delivering projects of the highest quality within agreed timescales, budget and with minimal disruption to our clients.
Projects are often won at the design stage, so we place great value on building the right team with the correct cross section of skills in this area. Take a look at some of our previous projects.
We’re also very committed to everyone buying into our values. So you must be able to work as part of our team and take ownership of opportunities.
We’re an exciting and forward thinking team so you’ll be actively encouraged to contribute feedback to ensure the processes and the technologies we use are continuously improved. Our aim is to delight clients at every stage as their project evolves and to ensure we deliver according to our company values:
- Love what you do
As a small business, it’s important that our people share our enthusiasm, ambition and commitment to producing great work combined with giving the best customer service.
We’re looking for a team player who is not afraid to take on responsibility, can use their initiative and who shows and shares great commitment to ensuring the smooth delivery of our creative interiors.
- Have an excellent eye for detail, with an up to date understanding of regulatory and legislative construction requirements
- Be able to handle budgets and understand the commercial impact of design decisions upon a scheme
- Have a personable and professional manner whilst working closely within a team and with clients and suppliers
- Be comfortable working to deadlines
We anticipate the right person will have at least 3+ years’ experience in the interior design field (ideally commercial interiors) as a CAD technician, in order to demonstrate the required skills.
Our designs are created in 3D Vectorworks and your daily role will be mainly focused on working on creating 2D/3D drawing packages in this software.
Our design and delivery approach, makes this an exciting opportunity to fulfil a pivotal role within the company.
As well as working closely with the contract managers and ordering teams, the role is primarily to provide technical and specification support to the design team by;
- surveying sites and drawing up building outlines
- taking concept schemes and extracting data from them to aid the production of project budgets
- using finishes, fit out and furniture specification knowledge to support the lead designer in making changes in specifications as required
- ensuring regulatory and legislative construction requirements are met
- producing detailed design drawing packages ready for site
- ensuring materials are ready to order, by creating strong specification documents
- checking and signing off order acknowledgements
- sourcing and liaising with manufacturers and suppliers to design and agree specials, ready for production
- actively enhancing GP margin using negotiating skills with suppliers wherever possible
- documenting and investigating design change requests, once a project is on site
- supporting internal processes and suggesting improvements to internal documents and procedures as necessary
The person in this role will be able to work well and communicate effectively within the Blueprint Interiors team, supporting project and contracts managers with technical specifications and drawings whilst a project is preparing for and live on site.
Skills & Attributes
- Knowledge of Mac operating systems
- 2D and 3D Vectorworks (or transferrable Auto CAD skills) for production of specification and technical drawings
- Adobe Photoshop, Indesign & Illustrator
- Sketch Up and P-con planner
- iWorks (Keynote, Pages, Numbers) or MS equivalent.
- Up to date understanding of regulatory and legislative construction requirements
- Full UK driving licence
- Understanding, interpreting and delivering on customer needs
- Creative problem solver
- Numerate – understanding of design decisions upon budgets
- Strong organisational skills, with ability to manage priorities
- Team work across all sectors of our business
- Ability to meet tight timescales and work under pressure
- 3+ years experience of fit out & furniture industry
- Ability to source and work with suppliers, upholding our design responsibilities under ISO 14001 and 9001
- Willing to take responsibility and use own initiative
- A passion for interiors and creating better workplaces
This is a full-time role.
Salary is negotiable, depending on experience.
Blueprint Interiors runs a company pension scheme, and has a company wide and personal performance bonus reward scheme.
We believe in investing in people to create their own path within the company by understanding personal goals or developments and providing additional training if required.
We thrive on having a welcoming, collaborating work environment with team social events throughout the year.
How to apply
To apply, please email your CV, portfolio examples and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.